Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Scrap Space...

Look quick, because it won't be this clean ever again! I used to work in the extra bedroom on the second floor, and then had the genius idea to move to the basement. Of course, moving all my stuff down two sets of stairs didn't feel very genius... Especially my work table.
Let me tell you about this work table. It is the most amazing, fabulous creation ever! One of a kind, it was built by my dad. This man can make just about anything out of wood. If-you-sketch-it, he-will-build-kind-of-guy. The catch is, and the family joke, is that when dad makes something, it weighs a TON. A lover of fine wood, he doesn't go for flimsy balsam. We are talking sturdy pine, people! It would take two people to move a nightstand my dad created. (Sorry, dad, but you know it's true). Don't get me wrong - I would waaaay have a sturdy piece of his furniture than the soon-to-be-broken pieces I can find in a store!So when I sketched out a table that was over six feet long, waist high, with cubbies to fit 12x12 paper, he made this amazing work desk for me. That had to be assembled in the room because it wouldn't fit through the door, let alone be lifted. That was six years ago. And now I decided I wanted to move this mammoth of goodness down stairs. Two sets of stairs.
Now a reasonable woman would plan this out, make sure she had several strong people on hand, and plan a weekend to complete this feat. I must not be a reasonable woman.
By some miracle, both my boys fell asleep at the same time, so I seized the moment! I grabbed my power drill, ran upstairs, and started disassembling. I must have been on a complete adrenaline rush, because I somehow managed to get the wooden Titanic safely to its new home.

I was sore for a week.


7 comments:

Jessica Rodarte said...

You. Did. Not. Where there's a will, there's a way, hmmm?! Well. It was well worth it. You have a great space. Downright enviable space. ;)

Little Scraps of Heaven Designs said...

You have such a nice space. Wish I had one. Before we moved I had my own scrapping room, but now I have to work in the kitchen.

Love your blog too. :)

The Other Patti Sue said...

You go girl! That is an amazing task! Beautiful studio!

Joani McDonald said...

I am so happy that I found your blog thru SCS ~ your work is amazing! I'm a follower for sure.

I'm jealous of your craft space, I'd love a basement! And I know what you mean about building things ~ my Father was the same.

I'll be back for sure!
Hugs,
Joani

Janiel/ janny said...

OH Krissy this is really really NICE!!! LOVE your studio sweetie....

I just put so more shevles in mine and have changes it around some. I will have to port you a picture soon.

TO get the both to nap at the same time was a true blessing. :o)
hugs, janny

maxine said...

wow fantastic, I wish I had one.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I've been busy for days and just stopped by to catch up with you! I Loved seeing your work space! Isn't it great to have a big room to spread out in?! I loved snooping in your new craft room, I had to enlarge all the pictures to get a better look. I didn't know you liked Mary Engelbreit too! That work table is wonderful and such a treasure since your dad made it. I know you are going to enjoy creating here! Twyla

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin