Wednesday, September 2, 2009

childhood

I love vintage children's books, and have a motley collection. Some are in pristine condition, but the vast majority are tattered tomes, covers scratched and bindings baring their stitches. I like the tattered ones best. They often have such lovely fabric covers, and the pages are heavier, a little yellowed. But the illustrations are so vibrant and fabulous! It is still thrilling to pick up a dusty, faded book and open a page to find bright and whimsical pictures on aged paper.
I made sets of these little altered playing cards, and have used them in other altered art. Now that I am obsessed (in a good way, of course) with cardmaking, I realized that they would make great embellishments for cards!

This card I created using a lovely sketch from Sketch Saturday. I have to say, Saturday mornings, even before my coffee is ready, I sneak up to the computer to see if the sketch for that Saturday is ready so I can print it and dream of nap time and cardmaking... Anyway, back to the challenge :) Once again, my love of buttons is prominent here, and I found some fab trim in my stash that went perfectly with the papers I picked out.

Ingredients

Papers: MyMindsEye, K&Co
Embellishments: vintage trim, my altered playing card
Ink: Ranger Distress Ink

6 comments:

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love that little card. You know, I have seen people use buttons on scrap projects and altered art, but don't put the thread through the holes. Your's always looks perfect because you take the time to do it right! Twyla

LOUISE said...

Fab card Queenie, love the vintage look, and the papers are perfect. Louise x

Jessica Rodarte said...

How clever making altered playing cards. You have the best ideas. I have several books, but they just sit there. I'm scared to touch them. They're so pretty.

Sparkle and Flourish said...

Oh how gorgeous..you definitely are the queen of vintage! I love those playing cards .....everything just works so well together!! Love it Judy x
P.S. I enjoyed my 1st 2 hours alone yetserday...bliss :)

Nilla said...

Gorgeous, so vintage look, beautiful papers and details. Love it! Hugs Nilla

Rach said...

Hi Kristen, this is so sweet, i love your style and i love reading your post, you write them so well. The added details you add to your cards are wonderful.. oh and yes Hollie is a little firecracker... full of confidence. I wish that i had a teeny tiny bit of that confidence myself...think that she has it all..lol. She is only small but she has a huge personality...
thank you for your sweet comment... Hugs Rachxx

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin